Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- Phishing Emails sent from School Email Addresses May 5, 2022Further to a recent cyber incident in St Mary’s CBS, we’d like to advise our school community of the following: If you get any odd emails / requests from our school through email, try to contact that person through another means ...Read more
- Mindfulness Colouring October 15, 2021Our 1st Years completing some mindfulness colouring as part of Mental Health Awareness WeekRead more
- U16 Rugby Blitz October 15, 2021Well done today to our U16 Rugby team who travelled to Cill Dara Rugby club for a blitz day. A team mixed with experienced players and those new to the game put in two great performances, winning our first game ...Read more
- What’s Cooking! October 15, 20215th Year Spanish students invaded the Home Ec room this morning to make the traditional Spanish dish Paella and it looked and smelled amazing!Read more
- Congratulations Stradbally Parish Gaels October 15, 2021Congratulations to several CBS students who were crowned Minor B Champions on Wednesday representing Stradbally Parish Gaels. One of our own Conor Buggie captained the side to a convincing victory against Rosenallis!Read more
- Christmas Test Timetables November 14, 2017STUDENT 1ST YEAR XMAS 2017 STUDENT 2ND YEAR XMAS 2017 STUDENT 3RD YR XMAS 2017 STUDENT 5TH YR XMAS 2017 STUDENT 6TH YR XMAS 2017Read more
- Application Form November 6, 2017Please find the application form here for any posts advertised on educationposts.ie.Read more
- Incoming First Years for September 2018 October 12, 2017All parents who wish to send their son to St Mary’s CBS Portlaoise should submit their completed application by tomorrow, Friday 13th. They will be offered a place for September 2018 by Friday 10th November and must accept in writing ...Read more
- Robert Sheehan visits the CBS TY’S October 3, 2017On Thursday 28th September, Robert Sheehan visited our TY’s in school. There were plenty of photos and questions and Robert patiently and good humouredly answered all questions put to him, from how he does love scenes to ‘Love Hate’ ...Read more
- TY Visit Waterford Walls October 3, 2017The TY’s visited Waterford to see the amazing graffiti walls which have become a tourist attraction of a novel kind.Read more
View All News