Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- TY Gaisce Trip September 20, 2023Our TY’s had a very active and enjoyable two days completing their Adventure Journey for their Bronze Gaisce Award. The lads made little work cycling 47km of the Waterford Greenway. Starting out at Waterford city, taking a well earned lunchbreak ...Read more
- 6th Year Students Attend Study Skills Seminar September 20, 2023Our 6th year students recently attended a Study Skills Seminar by Inspireeducation.ie where they investigated many study techniques, and learned how they could apply these to their preparations for Leaving Certificate Exams. We wish them every succes in the coming months of ...Read more
- U19 and U16 Basketball Wins! September 20, 2023A massive congratulations to our U19 basketball players who were victorious over rivals Rathmore in our local St Mary’s Hall on Friday last. They had a second successful day out yesterday defeating Ardscoil na Mara 33-54. ...Read more
- Zoom webinar for parents on how to support their student with dyslexia at 2nd level September 18, 2023Zoom webinar for parents on how to support their student with dyslexia at second level Tuesday 3rd October 2023 at 7.00 pm till 8.30 Please see information sheet and booking form Pdf-1Read more
- Senior Footballers Record First Win September 12, 2023Our Senior Footballers got off to a great start to the season with a definitive win in their first league game. They beat St Mary’s CBS , Enniscorthy on a scoreline of 7-7 to 1-9. Well done lads!Read more
- St. Mary’s CBS has been chosen for the Creative Schools initiative 2023-25! September 11, 2023St. Mary’s CBS in conjunction with the Arts Council are delighted to announce that we have been chosen as one of 150 schools nationwide to be awarded the opportunity to engage with Scoileanna Ildánacha/Creative Schools initiative 2023-25. Applications ...Read more
- New Sponsored Set of School Rugby Jerseys September 11, 2023A huge thanks to Martin Reddin of Martin Reddin Construction for the full sponsorship of a set of new jerseys for our schools Rugby Team. Many thanks for your continued support, this is greatly appreciated by the ...Read more
- OPEN NIGHT 2023 THIS THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 14TH September 11, 2023Parents, guardians and students of 5th and 6th Class are welcome to attend! Please see details in the poster attached. Our staff and students can’t wait to meet you all. Please spread the word. ...Read more
- National Learning Network Open Day September 11, 2023Please see attached posterRead more
- 5th and 6th Year LCA Students Vidit Glenbarrow Waterfall September 8, 2023On Wednesday our 5th and 6th Year LCA’s enjoyed their first outing to Glenbarrow Waterfall. They completed the 7km loop (14km for some!), taking photographs that will inform a Batik assignment they will complete in the coming weeks and gathering ...Read more
View All News