Welcome to our new school website. We invite you to browse through our school’s activities, curriculum, photos and policies to get a sense of who the school community at St Mary’s CBS really are. This website is in its early stages and we hope you will watch it grow, as our school does, year on year.
Here, in St Mary’s, we have a long and vibrant link with Portlaoise town, the surrounding townlands and in particular, with our original school in Tower Hill. For those interested in our history, the original corner stones of the Tower Hill school, which were removed in 2010, are now part of our school entrance in the Borris Road.
In 2010, we opened the doors of the Borris Road site with 500 students. Since then we have steadily grown to nearly 800 students in September 2015 and seem set to continue growing, although at a slower pace in the future. Our facilities, which include the impressive Rice Nagle Sports Facility, several soccer, GAA and basketball hard courts, are among the best in the country and our students and staff enjoy state of the art facilities in which to learn and work within our new school building.
However a school facility merely provides a venue in which to provide the opportunities our students deserve in which to grow, gain experience and skills to leave our school with. We have shown over the years that our students are cared for as individuals. True to the Edmund Rice tradition, which underpins all our policies and curricula, we endeavour to
- Provide excellent teaching and learning,
- Promote partnership with the wider school community,
- Create a caring school community
- Nurture faith, Christian spirituality and Gospel-based values
- Provide leadership opportunities for students and staff alike
I hope you will enjoy browsing this website and learning about life in St Mary’s CBS.
- National Parents Council Post Primary Newsletter March 24, 2023Wednesday Webinar Leaving Cert Preparation with Arthur Godsil Wednesday 5th April at 7pm With the Leaving Cert Exams only 9 weeks away we welcome the advice and guidance of renowned education consultant and Leaving Cert expert, Arthur Godsil. At past webinars Arthur has captivated our parents and ...Read more
- 2023 School Summer Programme – Applications of Interest March 24, 2023This June we will run our first School Summer Programme for students with complex special educational needs and for those at risk of educational disadvantage. The theme of this programme ‘Building Confidence and Connections’ and intends to be an enjoyable experience ...Read more
- Garda Youth Awards Recognise 5 CBS Students in 3 Categories March 24, 2023The Garda Youth Awards, at Divisional and National level, celebrates outstanding young people between 13 and 21 years, and recognises the good work they do throughout their communities. Last evening, Thursday 23rd March, we had the pleasure of attending the Laois ...Read more
- Access to Free Parent Internet Safety Course for all during Internet Safety Inclusiveness Week March 24, 2023As part of Parent Internet Safety week, we have purchased access to Cyber School Direct for all our parents using this App. It will be available for the remainder of this school year, up to June 2nd. All interested parents ...Read more
- First Year Footballers reach Leinster B Final! March 24, 2023Congratulations to our First Year Footballers on reaching a Leinster B Final! They defeated Presentation College Carlow today on a score line of 4-10 to 1-6. Carlow started off strong with the wind at their backs in what proved very tough conditions ...Read more
- Phishing Emails sent from School Email Addresses May 5, 2022Further to a recent cyber incident in St Mary’s CBS, we’d like to advise our school community of the following: If you get any odd emails / requests from our school through email, try to contact that person through another means ...Read more
- Mindfulness Colouring October 15, 2021Our 1st Years completing some mindfulness colouring as part of Mental Health Awareness WeekRead more
- U16 Rugby Blitz October 15, 2021Well done today to our U16 Rugby team who travelled to Cill Dara Rugby club for a blitz day. A team mixed with experienced players and those new to the game put in two great performances, winning our first game ...Read more
- What’s Cooking! October 15, 20215th Year Spanish students invaded the Home Ec room this morning to make the traditional Spanish dish Paella and it looked and smelled amazing!Read more
- Congratulations Stradbally Parish Gaels October 15, 2021Congratulations to several CBS students who were crowned Minor B Champions on Wednesday representing Stradbally Parish Gaels. One of our own Conor Buggie captained the side to a convincing victory against Rosenallis!Read more
View All News